Friday, June 30, 2006

So today was the Fitchburg circuit race. It's a 3 mile loop with a pretty hard hill for the finish. I'd have to say the luck was a little better today. First off with the new start we actually only have to climb the hill 10 times. That's lucky. Second I got a sweet spot for the start. That's always good in this race because it's kind of like a big crit. Then I managed to avoid all the crashes which was very excellent because there are always crashes in this race. In the last one the girl was right next to me doing that wobbly bouncing off each girl next to her before she went down. All I could think is "I gotta get out of this bad area."
The last of the luck came at the finish. Although I lost my sweet spot in the last 300 m before the bottom of the hill I still ended up mid-pack and between those who got dropped and those who opened wheel gaps on the finish (which it's easy to do in this race) I moved up to 17th in GC. So a pretty good day.

In other news the Colavita team camped out in my super secret shady parking spot. I came back from warming up and they were all assembled in their chairs for the "team meeting". I felt a little conspicuous being right there as they were going over team strategy, but I'm pretty sure they weren't worried though.

Mom came to watch today. She likes this race because it's kind of like a cotillion. No, not a fancy dance, one of those downtown races. You know, criterium, cotillion, whatever... She likes those fast races where she can see us go round and round all day. Although, she does like the men's races a little better because "they go a lot faster."

1 comment:

The Pullems said...

Looking good, Mum! And Renee, dont take it personally about her preference for watching the men race... she likes mens ice skating better, too, for the same reason!