Thursday, June 29, 2006

ATTENTION: Palindromic race numbers may not be lucky. In fact they may be decidedly unlucky.

First my pump breaks when I was putting air in my tires today. Not a real trajedy because there's neutral support here at the race, but that does mean I'll be without a pump for the next 3 weeks. That was only slightly unlucky.

Then about 20 minutes before my start the storm blows in. It's raining with thunder and lightning all around. I'm trying to still warm up by hiding my trainer under the tail gate of my car, but I'm getting drenched anyway not to mention the fact that the trainer doesn't really work in the rain because the wheel slips with anything more than 120 watts. That was a little more unlucky.

So we start on time anyway. The biggest part of the storm has passed but it's still raining, it's still windy, and you can still hear the thunder. Oh well, everyone has to ride in it right? Well not really. Turns out only about the first 20 of us really got the rain, by the time I was done and riding back to the start the sun came back out, the streets were drying off, and the hurricane winds were gone too. So again, not lucky to start in the first half of the field in the TT.
Then I got to share my drive back to my mom's house with everyone who works in Boston. Again, unlucky that I got done with the race at 5pm. Perfect for rush-hour though.

So I think I finished 21st. 0.3 seconds out of the top 20. Again, not so lucky. Perhaps there will be more luck tomorrow, I just hope it is of the good type.

2 comments:

The Pullems said...

"Love that dirty water..."

Unknown said...

Sweep the leg Sparky