Friday, September 22, 2006

Track Camp Day 4: Abort! Abort!

"Seriously? Are you serious? You want me to take all 25 bikes back in to the cages after I just brought them all out?" Poor Andrew (the mechanic) just gets the bad news from Colby that the morning track session was aborted due to rain right after he had just spent the last hour bringing all the equipment out.

Plan B was soon aborted after that because doing a road ride in 40 degrees and pissing rain in September is "useless" according to Coach Colby Pearce. Phew, because about 5 minutes in to the ride I started to think it was a real bad idea as my toes and fingers were going numb, good thing Colby decided to turn us around after about 7 minutes.

The day wasn't all bad, there was a Zir-mullet sighting. Sorry Brad, the MC Hammer stripes on the side puts it over the top.

There was a rumor we'd be doing roller races in the mechanics room in the afternoon.

Instead we did some testing on the ergometer. We did some 10 and 30 second all-out sprints. Lucky me I got to do it twice because the first time the SRM wasn't plugged in. I'd like to say I would have recorded about 1,000 watts if the SRM had on for that first one. Truth is the ergometer doesn't lie, and I'm just not all that powerful.

So although it's still technically summer (until tomorrow) it's time to cuddle up by the fire, crack open a beer, and eat some pumpkin pie. I am so over riding my bike hard. I think I will abort on the idea of going to nationals and instead start my off-season in about 42 hours and 37 minutes.

No comments: