Thursday, July 13, 2006

Superweek Day 4 Race Report: Shorewood Criterium

Bear with me because this may be an overly-detailed, long-and-boring, no-one-cares-but-your-mom race report.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda....
Today was a good race. I was fairly smart, fairly attentive, and the closest I've been to the winning break at the Superweek, but still so far from actually making it there. I think I actually finished last or very close to it, but here's why. So I hang out in the pack most of the day except for my customary hot lap at the start. So on 8 to go, I go for a prime, but go way too hard for it and create a big gap for me and one of the Kiwi riders. So we go and stay away for a couple of laps, then a group bridges up on the next points sprint lap. Katie Mactier takes the sprint and keeps on going, so I go with her. Then it's just me and her with 5 to go. You know if you are going to be in a break, then being in a break with the former World Champ in the pursuit is a pretty good thing. It was a nice move, it just wasn't quite enough. We got caught with just over a lap to go. The difference though between me and Katie is she still got up there for 2nd place. I blew right out the back of the pack once we were caught. It could have had something to do with being off the front for 7 of the last 8 laps...

The consolation to the finish is that I took 4 primes for $175. I wouldn't have made that much even if I had won the race. So I still gotta be happy with that.

No comments: