Sunday, August 13, 2006

Master's Nationals Points Race: Race Report.
Since the statute of limitations of basking in the glory of my big win yesterday is almost over I figured I'd get the race report out now before all my friends and family tire of hearing me talk incessantly about it. (oops, too late)

So if you don't know a points race is kind of like a criterium, but instead of winner takes all at the end there are a sprints every 5 laps during the race. The winner is the one with the most points accumulated from those sprints.

And so the story goes,
It was a dark and stormy night....
No actually it was a dark and stormy afternoon and we got rain delayed after just 3 laps in to the 30 lap race. So we hid under the tent for a couple of hours until we could start again. (p.s. sitting around is not so good for the legs)

And so the race starts again.... It started great. I won the first points sprint was all "get some of this" until my legs seized up immediately after that. My legs just felt like bricks and I wasn't able to score any more points in the next few sprints. So by 10 laps to go I'd dropped to 5th on points and Maatje up in 1st tied on points with Kele Murdin. By that point I started to think I didn't have much chance of winning or even still making the top 3. This was so not how I visualized the race going...

With 6 laps to go I had no choice but to nut up and sprint my ass off for the penultimate sprint. Phew, I won that one and that was enough to get me back in the race. So now with one sprint to go Maatje and I were tied for the lead on points, and it was all going to come down to the final sprint. Then with 2 laps left the field started to sit up a bit. I saw a chance and made a most sparktastic attack with 500 meters to go. I held a gap the finish, won the last sprint, and won the overall for the race. Woohoo! By the way, I must have tried moves like that a hundred times before and it NEVER works. I mean never, until yesterday ;-)

So I've only won one race so far this season, and I guess if you're just going to win one race, then doing it at nationals makes it all ok.

No comments: