Monday, April 03, 2006

Garrett Lemire Race Report: Holy Hill!
Actually Holy Hill is the name of a race at Superweek but that's what it felt like yesterday. Holy Hill! That crit was just about the hardest thing I've done on a bike. I started looking for the 5 laps to go sign about 20 minutes in to the race. Each time we got to the hill I'd have to go absolutely as hard as I could go for about 30 seconds. Then I'd spend the rest of the lap just a tick below as hard as I could go to try to move up a few spots until I would coast for about 3 pedal strokes to recover on the down hill before slamming on the brakes right before the turn at the bottom of the hill. It's not that the hill was so long or so hard, it was getting stuck in the back of the pack and nearly coming to a stop at bottom of the hill. Literally I track standed once at the bottom of the hill when I got stuck behind one of the "pros". That made the race so much tougher than it had to be. It was real tough too because I think we dropped about half the pack. I kept hearing minor explosions all around me as girls would detonate on the hill and fly backwards out of the back of the pack.
About the only thing I worked on today was my tan lines. At least I got something out of this race.
Oh and the fans were out in full force... who brings llamas to a bike race?

No comments: