Wednesday, April 16, 2008

At some point in time, I think most of us realize that we (meaning me) were perhaps not as cool as we thought back in high school. As I was reliving my past with some new friends last weekend, I realized that I might have not been as cool as I thought 20 years ago.
I was in high school orchestra band. I thought I was somewhat cool because I played the drums, but I wasn't even any good because all they let me ever play were the cymbals.

(p.s. To note, I did sell my drum set to buy my first bike. Perhaps that's when I really started being cool...or not so cool. I'm not sure.)
I was in AV club. Seriously, it was where all the cool kids hung out. Cool kids, that is, if your best friend's name was Pedro. I mean we got to go hang out and watch the Princess Bride instead of going to study hall, that's pretty cool.

I ran for class president every year.... Never won, not even close. I don't see how I could have lost with a slogan like "Don't be gay, vote for Renee."

p.s. Note: in high school "gay" just meant "lame". Of course I would never use that slogan now. How they let me leave that one up on the high school walls, I'll never know.


In high school my boyfriend's name was Ernie and he drove a blue Pinto....and it was a wagon.




I had a rat tail. Yes, you read it right. On my head, dangling from the back of my hair, a psuedo-mullet rat tail.

I only wonder now how uncool I will think I was 20 years from now.

6 comments:

Kate Gracheck said...

I dare you to bring the mullet/rat tail back this year!

Sharon said...

i kept that rattail a very guarded secret, i didn't even tell jim. and now you're blogging it? hmpf.

CT said...

A blue pinto - bring a tear to my eye.

As cool as the gremlin in Waynes World?

b fisk said...

oh man that slogan is LOL FUUUUUUUNNNY.

Carol said...

I still think you're da bomb! ;)

The Pullems said...

I didn't know that you ran for class office every year without ever getting elected - guess what? so did I, and I never got elected, either! Yet another thing we have in common, sis!