Monday, August 23, 2010

DYNO-ARM!

Move over Robo-Arm, you've been replaced.


I haven't been seeing a ton of progress with a range of motion in the past few weeks, so my PT and I decided to try something new. Peter got me a dynamic range of motion device to wear, and instead of limiting my range of motion this stretches it out. There is kind of a spring in the joint and it gently (or forcibly) increases my range of motion. I'm supposed to start with 20 minutes today and work up to wearing it all night. I'm calling it Dyno-Arm because when I'm done with it my range of motion is going to be DYNO-MIGHT! I may be calling it Torture-Arm or S&M-Arm depending on how much discomfort stretching it out all night gives me. Right now I'm only on a setting of 2, out of 10...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After breaking my elbow 6 years ago, I have recovered 99.9% of my range of motion. I had one of these with a dial that I could crank to force my arm into an extended position. It was painful but it helped. I did not like to sleep with it however. I prefered to lay my arm down along my side and to let it extend as I tried to relax and fall asleep. Relaxing is key. One last suggestion and probably what worked best for me...I would lay on the floor at night to watch TV and I would use a dumbell over the wrist help me stretch. I would place pillows behind me, relax as much as possible and lay back. Eventually, I could lay back all the way and then I worked on getting the shoulder to the ground. It was painful, but I eventually recovered my complete range with NO PT visits. This probably worked because I watched a lot of TV.

Good Luck!