Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Master's Nationals Update

This week are Master's National Track Championships. I haven't raced them since 2006, the last time they were here in Colorado Springs.

2006 was also the last time I won a national championship, which I was lucky enough to do again today. That makes a total of 5 for me now. I guess I'm kind of proud of that number now.
Today's race was the pursuit and it was a surprise win as I've only done 3 pursuit workouts all year. I guess those last 7 or 8 years of pursuit training is paying off because I not only won my age group today, but also set the fastest time for all the women. My time was 2:39.5 which I think is a PR. My goal was to go under 2:40, so I guess I did that, just barely!

I do have some people to thank.
I need to thank Swillissa for loaning me her aero helmet. I won the race by 0.25 seconds, and I'm sure her more aero helmet was the difference over my circa 1996 P.O.S aero bucket.
I have to thank Katie Compton for calling my splits during the race, mostly she just yelled at me to go faster, which is all I really needed anyway.
I also have to thank all my fans, aka coworkers, that came out to cheer me on like maniacs. Every time I came through the home stretch there was thunderous cheering, cowbells, and screaming. I am sure I would not have dug as deep without them.

And then the day ended with a beautiful sunset.

Next up, the Points Race on Friday night. I can't wait! The Points Race is what I'm actually good at.

1 comment:

Ingrid Alongi said...

Very nice race, Renee. Congratulations on the win. Maybe a rematch next year? ;-)